Master pasta: it’s hip to be a square
600g Jap pumpkin
100g Parmesan cheese, grated
100g Mostarda di frutta, preferably pear, finely chopped
100g amaretti biscuits, blitzed in a food processor to resemble fine breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 quantity of basic pasta dough
Freshly ground black pepper and salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Wash the pumpkin and then cut the pumpkin into manageable hunks, leaving the skin intact. Clean the pumpkin flesh of filaments and seeds. Coat the pumpkin chunks with a little olive oil and put into the oven to roast.
- When the pumpkin is soft, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Scoop the pumpkin flesh from the skin with a spoon and place into a large bowl. Add the grated parmesan, the finely chopped mostarda, the finely crushed amaretti biscuits and nutmeg.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon and adjust the seasoning – a good pinch of salt and pepper enhances the sweetness of roasted pumpkin.
- Cover the bowl and let the flavours develop for at least an hour in the fridge. Place teaspoon-sized balls of filling onto a sheet of fresh pasta. Fold and cut into ravioli.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to the boil. Gently add the ravioli and cook for 2-3 minutes until al dente. Drain, drizzle with a little olive oil, season and serve.
Recipe from Manu and Sarah’s Kitchen, who run Sunday pasta and ravioli cooking classes at Salt Meats Cheese, 41 Bourke Rd, Alexandria, 02 9690 2406, www.saltmeatscheese.com.au.